Permit Approval Status
The Northern Pass project will need to meet all necessary federal and state
permitting requirements for the proposed transmission line.
Below are a list of approvals and actions to date. For a more complete
description of the permitting process and requirements, visit the Permitting and Public Input page. This permitting
process includes many opportunities for public input including a series of
public information sessions and open houses in communities along the proposed
Status of Approvals
U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
- The project submitted its Presidential Permit application to the DOE in October 2010.
- An addendum to the Presidential Permit application was submitted in February 2011.
- The DOE held public scoping meetings in seven locations in New Hampshire between March 14 and March 20, 2011.
- The project submitted a letter to the DOE on April 12, 2011, withdrawing support for some routing alternatives. The letter also requested an extension of the public scoping period for the identification of an improved route and to allow for additional public comment.
- The Northern Pass announced an improved project design and a new, preferred route on June 27, 2013. The project submitted an amended application for a Presidential Permit to the Department of Energy which reflects key developments in the project since the filing of the original application on October 14, 2010.
- The DOE held four public scoping meetings throughout the state between September 23 and September 26, 2013.
DOE issued its draft Environmental Impact Statement on July 21, 2015. A 90-day public comment period began on July 31, 2015 when the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency published a notice of the draft EIS’s availability in the Federal Register.
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
The U.S. Department of Energy has created the Northern Pass EIS website to provide information for those interested in the project’s progress. Here you will find information on the federal permitting process, how to submit comments, and documents related to the project.
If you would like more information about the Northern Pass project or would like to be added to the documents mailing list, contact Department of Energy officials Brian Mills or Carol Borgstrom here.
New Hampshire Site Evaluation Committee (SEC)
- The state's comprehensive SEC review process is expected to begin in the fall of 2015.
- The SEC
application will include separate applications required for permits and
approvals from DES, DOT and the PUC.
are looking for more details about the Northern Pass permitting process, you
can find project filings in the Northern Pass online document library.